"Next of Kin" scam

This area is for members to publish their completed scam-bait letters to share with everyone.
Rynok
Not quite a Newb
"Next of Kin" scam

Post by Rynok » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:56 am

Hi! Newbie here. Here is my first effort at pranking scammers. It's not a long one when compared to some of the stuff I've read here, but hopefully it is a good one. The scammer's e-mails are in blue, while my responses are in red (with one note from me to you guys in black partway down to help put one of my responses into a bit of context).

Subject: REPLY NOW

I am compelled to write you this email for reasons of great business importance. I Agent/Solicitor of I.Mohammed Chambers & Partners personal attorney to Late James,who left some large amount of money (Two Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) with the Access Bank here before his death in 2015.

As his personal attorney, I have made several inquiries as directed by the bank with a view to locating any member of his immediate or extended relatives so as to present him/her as the Next of Kin and be neficiary of my late client and of course claim his entitlement. And unfortunately; I have been unsuccessfully in all my efforts at trying to locate any member of his family. For this reason i have decided to trace his last name,hence I contacted you so that the process of claim of the fund deposited by my late client can be handed over to you;I got your contact from an International Journal during my search for this above mentioned issues.

Please note that the fund shall be divided 50/50 between you and I;once it gets into your account; according to my plan;Your earliest response to this email will be highly appreciated, Do get back to me as I will not contact anyone till l read from you. if you are not interested do let me know by replying to me.

Regards
Isaah Mohammed
Barrister at Law
I.Mohammed Chambers & Partners
Address:No 3 Marina Road,Lagos Island
Email: [email protected]

Sir, I am indeed related to Mr. Late James. While it is rather a bit distantly as far as relations go, I am probably the closest relative that is still alive. He did not come from a large immediate family to begin with and to the best of my knowledge all other closer relatives have long since passed on. Though it has been many years since we had last spoken, I am saddened to learn of his passing.I look forward to hearing from you on the instructions needed on how to proceed with the handling of Late's estate.

Personally, while I think the 50/50 split is a bit much in providing you with compensation for your work, I acknowledge that there was no small amount of work in having been his attorney and handling the management of his estate, as well as there being no small amount of effort involved in tracking me down.

Thanks for your response. This is legal and all I need from you is your trust and honesty that after these fund is being transferred to your bank account, you will definitely send to me my own share of the fund as agreed to share with you 50/50.

The bank has assured me that as soon as they open communication with you, it will take 5 banking working days to get your inheritance fund released and transferred to your account.

Do forward immediately your full contact details as stated below.

Your Contact Address:
Your Contact Phone Number:
Your Age/Occupation:

Upon confirmation of the above stated details, I will submit same to the bank as the next of kin and beneficiary to the fund deposited with the bank.

I will also provide you with the contact details of the bank to open communication with them to commence the transfer process.

Your urgent response will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Isaah Mohammed
Barrister at Law
I.Mohammed Chambers & Partners
Address:No 3 Marina Road,Lagos Island

Contact address:
[Removed - B8er]

Contact phone number:
[Removed - B8er]

Occupation: senior analyst, cybercrimes division, United States Federal Bureau of Investigations (Norfolk, Virginia branch)

Now, as a side note, I do not actually work for the FBI, and while the address and phone number listed are valid, they are actually the listed info for the Norfolk, Virginia filed office of the FBI, as publicly listed on their website (as a note to the mods: if you feel it appropriate to remove said contact info, even though the FBI has made it public on their website, I do understand). After a week of not hearing back from the guy, I did send one final e-mail to him (though I still have yet to hear from him):

Sir, it has been a week now, and I have yet to hear from either you or the bank where Late's money is currently located. I hope that everything is all right, though I am beginning to fear the worst here. I hope that my fears are unfounded, but I have recently learned that Late's money may have come from extorting the Russian mafia (yes, those same guys who interfered with the 2016 U.S. presidential election), and I have recently obtained evidence that they may be responsible for Late's apparently untimely death. I'm beginning to fear that they have gotten to you in an attempt to get their money back, and that they may be coming after me next. Getting Late's money freed up and transferred into our respective bank accounts would certainly help us both in being able to go into hiding.

If I do not hear from you soon, I may have to ask some contacts I have within the United States Central Intelligence Agency that are currently stationed in Lagos Island to check on your well-being. I certainly hope that things have not gotten so bad that I shall have to resort to that particular method, though. I hope that I will hear back from you soon.

B8er
Associate
Original Eater Join Date: 16 Feb 2009

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Re: "Next of Kin" scam

Post by B8er » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:14 am

Welcome to Eater, please take time to read the rules here, particularly this part (my bolding)
We do not involve innocent third parties (ITPs) in our baits. This means any real person or entity, regardless of your opinion of them, who has not consented to be involved in your bait. You may use contact information of confirmed advance fee fraud scammers such as we bait here, but do not use contact information for any other third party, including, but not limited to: police departments or other law enforcement agencies, hotline phone numbers, telemarketing companies, shady mortgage brokers, etc.
👅🌺🌋😅

Mr Dapper
Wannabe Baiter
Original Eater Join Date: 30 Apr 2017

User Icons

Post by Mr Dapper » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:08 pm

Rynok wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:56 am After a week of not hearing back from the guy, I did send one final e-mail to him (though I still have yet to hear from him):
Probably best if you choose another occupation than any kind of law enforcement employee if you want to keep the lad engaged. That's assuming they even bother to read your first couple of replies. That said, I hope your lad's just a lazy (and not busy) little bastard and he'll be in touch with you again soon.
The last word is mine.

:jboot: :$_lad: (A few) :trophy: :santa: :vcamera: :sandtimer:

"Animal of your type" - Suggestions accepted

"Please go and hit your penis on the wall or you look for your kind i don't have time for big choppers." - Ouch!

"We give the rules here not you sir." - Of course you do laddie.

"We have never had to deal with a client like you." - Thanks for the compliment.

Rynok
Not quite a Newb

Post by Rynok » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:44 pm

B8er wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:14 am Welcome to Eater, please take time to read the rules here, particularly this part (my bolding)
We do not involve innocent third parties (ITPs) in our baits. This means any real person or entity, regardless of your opinion of them, who has not consented to be involved in your bait. You may use contact information of confirmed advance fee fraud scammers such as we bait here, but do not use contact information for any other third party, including, but not limited to: police departments or other law enforcement agencies, hotline phone numbers, telemarketing companies, shady mortgage brokers, etc.
Yes, I did read that (which is why I noted that I was fine with removal of said contact info if it was a no-no here). I can only plead that at the time of the original communications in question, I was unaware of this site and its advice on such things (which I'd like to say are certainly good ones, and yes, you guys do bring up a valid point on that!). I am working on studying the rules and other advice here, and they will be duly noted for future communications.

Rynok
Not quite a Newb

Post by Rynok » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:02 pm

Mr Dapper wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:08 pm
Rynok wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:56 am After a week of not hearing back from the guy, I did send one final e-mail to him (though I still have yet to hear from him):
Probably best if you choose another occupation than any kind of law enforcement employee if you want to keep the lad engaged. That's assuming they even bother to read your first couple of replies. That said, I hope your lad's just a lazy (and not busy) little bastard and he'll be in touch with you again soon.
It was my first effort at actually communicating with a scammer like this, so it was more about seeing what I could come up with on my own than trying to specifically keep him occupied for any notable length of time.

And a certain part of me did wonder if he'd bothered to read at least my first e-mail. While this was my first time communicating via e-mail with any attempted scammer, I've read others that I've received in the past and they usually seem to revolve around a "deceased" individual (who is, of course, actually completely made up) that there's absolutely no chance of the e-mail's recipient actually knowing, yet in my initial response I did indicate that I not only knew said person but that I was indeed somewhat distantly related to him (both of which, of course, were as made up as the person of "Late James" and the purported millions of dollars that he'd left behind).

Of course, I also realize there is the chance that the scammer paid more attention to my second e-mail with my claimed occupations (either that, or he, for some reason, wasn't surprised by my original claim of having known and being related to "Late James"), since there is a possibility that he broke off communications because of that (which is the reason why I sent the last e-mail - either he'd figured out by that point that I had been pulling his leg the entire time or I would give him something else to worry about by making him think that the FBI/CIA and/or the Russian mafia might be coming after him).

DerekTrotter1981
419 Eater is My Life

Post by DerekTrotter1981 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:32 pm

Did you do this with any actual details?

Rynok
Not quite a Newb

Post by Rynok » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:07 pm

[No need to quote conversation above 8-) -Kitty]

All e-mails involved are presented here (with, of course, the sole editing of any sort being the removal of the contact address & phone number, which were the actual public address & phone number of the Norfolk, VA field office of the FBI as provided by the FBI's website, if anyone's wondering). Other than that, all other information I provided (yes, including my alleged age - suffice to say, I'm not 47 years old quite yet) was incorrect.

Kitty La Gore
Old Mod

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Post by Kitty La Gore » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:28 pm

Incorrect information is good. We truly do not want to bother law enforcement or any other ITP while we're messing with scammers on the chance that they will send a letter, or do something more nefarious. Nobody wants that kind of surprise, right? I use Google Maps to locate truly out-of-the-way locations that are incorrect addresses (along an access road, or a road that does not exist in a town, for example) and I've never had a scammer question my addresses. I do like to put the fake addresses in my time zone so I have at least a passing awareness of news that might be relevant to a bait, and it lends credibility when I say I live in a certain US state and my emails are generally sent before 10pm at night.

I'm glad you're trying to waste their time! That's a great goal. Definitely read through the rules B8r mentioned, and if you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. We are happy to help and offer advice.
I'm really scared because I notice that I'm develop malaria because of the hot climax here ~ Abiola in Rosso
i was kidnap by Nigeria North desperate danger men in Borno state Nigeria all because of u ~Tim
You are been a foolish man with a naughty brain. ~Paul K
Abiola-Tim: Lagos to Dakkar to Rosso (wDSW) 9 yrs (anniversary May 2023) | 5 yrs ~ Paul K
Am just tired and confused and the cards didn't work. ~Jeff