Indian call center scams, and how to get out of the loop ....

For the discussion of non-419 related miscellaneous scams.
Purple
Hello, I'm Looking Around

Indian call center scams, and how to get out of the loop ....

Post by Purple » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Recently, my phone (land line number) has produced several “Indian call centre scammers”. No idea why, it just happens. Tried calling them out, which resulted in absolute chaos as my number was passed around even more, and frankly, it’s a bit boring trying to draw them into long protracted dead end conversations

So I thought about it a bit, and came up with this solution …..

Scammer : Hello, this is Sky internet services. Your IP is recorded as having many examples of nefarious activity on your account. Can you see your router sir

Me: No. I use next doors internet connection.

Scammer: So you are not connected to the internet ?

Me: Yes I am. But the router is next doors.

Scammer: So you do not know your own router ?

Me: It’s not my router, it’s next doors. Please don’t tell them I’m using it, as I could get into trouble.

Scammer: OK sir, but you are still on the internet, yes ?

Me: I can give you next doors phone number if you like

(This throws them completely off-script, and at that point, they either give up, or accept the phone number I’ll give them – which is Lenny’s)

Either way, they end up going nowhere, leaving me in the clear

I know this isn’t “what we do”, but it is what we come across, and I offer this as simple solution to “get out of jail free”, with no come back, without which can often mean several more calls as your number is passed along the line. The cross-over is Lenny, and I’d love to be a fly on the wall for those calls …..

Logar
Not quite a Newb
Original Eater Join Date: 29 Aug 2006

Re: Indian call center scams, and how to get out of the loop ....

Post by Logar » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:04 pm

Normally we don't handle these scams on this forum, but, I will chime in. As far as your phone number goes, you will still be vulnerable to receiving scam calls. The centers use a robo-call computer software that dials thousands of phone numbers ever day. Multiply by the thousands of call centers in India, the UK, and the USA and you see the scope. They also use a software that "spoofs" the number they are calling from. I have even received calls from my own number. The best thing to do is to (on the land line) hang up before they start their pitch. On a cell phone, my advice is that if you don't recognize the number, ignore the call. If it's important, they can leave a message. There are people who bait the phone scammers, and you can find them on YouTube. As far as giving them Lenny's phone number, I think that is mis-using what he was created for (my opinion only). Never give out any real life personal information. Never involve ITPs. Bait safe!
"I also called the number on the recept and its not a moneygram . its a mugu man number." -Angela
"Your mother is a mad pussycat and your father is ordinary skeleton" -Jerome
"if you want to do something do as manure man ok." - William

Kills: :flag_us: x2 :flag_uk: x2 :flag_nl: x3 :flag_es:
:$_lad: x141

Purple
Hello, I'm Looking Around

Post by Purple » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:31 pm

I did initially try hanging up, which simply resulted in them getting offended (go figure), and my number getting passed around. But on this call, I think they considered it genuine and I’ve been left alone since

Your comment about the lenster is noted – let’s just say that’s an “optional extra”, proceed at your own risk

“Call barring” these days is pointless, and in that respect I entirely agree. “No number” every time …….

bware419ers
Forum Admin
Original Eater Join Date: 25 Jun 2012

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Post by bware419ers » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:57 pm

Let's not make it an extra.

That service is provided by a baiter here using their own funds. It is meant to be used for AFF scammers, not passed on to some Call Center and beyond. When the owner has to filter through a bunch of shit calls, that doesn't make it worthwhile to them and the service might be removed.
REPORT BANK ACCOUNTS | FOLLOW 419EATER ON TWITTER

RIP "FFS." - Capone
RIP Toomuchfun
RIP Irishemigrant
"I started to read it but got bored after the first couple of sentences." - SOOI
"Remind me not to get on your bad side." - jose_cuervo