New to active baiting reporting scammer's bank account?

General discussion of scambaiting. Please read the forum rules HERE
_nme_
Hello, I'm Looking Around
New to active baiting reporting scammer's bank account?

Post by _nme_ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:57 pm

Hi all,

first, a quick intro: I've known about scams and baiting since around 2004/2005 when I came across the old forum and Shiver Metimber's hilarious "Tale of The Painted Breast" ...

I have, however, never been active in scambaiting myself. That is, until now. A couple of days ago I was approached by a guy who claims to be in The Gambia, his shtick being what I would call a charity scam -- basically, he needs money to feed his starving family (unlike food, internet access seems to be readily available in his neck of the woods though ...).

Knowing a thing or two about how to sidetrack conversations, playing dumb, asking a myriad of ridiculous questions etc., I've managed to drive my new friend to the brink of insanity. After refusing to use the likes of Western Union and xoom for days, I finally got him to send me bank details to get the money transferred to him. :)

Now, I figured it would be great to have this bank account reported or even shut down if at all possible. I've read that bank details can be reported to the forum mods, so they can forward the info to the bank involved for investigation/monitoring.

So, my question is this: This is NOT an e-mail scam; rather, the lad chatted me up on a language learning app. Is there still a way someone on here could help me with this? :?: I would really love to at least make life harder for my new "friend" and his ilk, so any help/tips/pointers on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated!

Kitty La Gore
Old Mod

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Re: New to active baiting reporting scammer's bank account?

Post by Kitty La Gore » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:41 pm

Welcome to Eater, _nme_!

I'm not familiar with the language learning app, but it sounds like you're engaging with this lad on a platform where he could potentially contact you personally in the future as well? If this is the case, I would drop all contact - even if he doesn't have your real life info, he could make your life miserable by spamming you relentlessly through the app (best case scenario) or somehow trace your real-life information through your user name/login/other (worst case scenario). This is one of those types of scams we do not bait as it can bite the baiter fairly quickly.

There are so many lads just waiting to be baited at our sister site, Scamwarners - I encourage you to grab a baiting email address and contact those lads. We could use the help, and we can assist you better in baiting those lads!

~Kitty
I'm really scared because I notice that I'm develop malaria because of the hot climax here ~ Abiola in Rosso
i was kidnap by Nigeria North desperate danger men in Borno state Nigeria all because of u ~Tim
You are been a foolish man with a naughty brain. ~Paul K
Abiola-Tim: Lagos to Dakkar to Rosso (wDSW) 9 yrs (anniversary May 2023) | 5 yrs ~ Paul K
Am just tired and confused and the cards didn't work. ~Jeff

B8er
Associate
Original Eater Join Date: 16 Feb 2009

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Post by B8er » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:04 pm

_nme_ wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:57 pmbasically, he needs money to feed his starving family
If he's not promising you anything and is just asking for money then he is a beggar, which we don't bait.

From the rules linked to at the top of this forum
We don't bait beggars. You may get emails just simply asking for money, there may or may not be a sob story attached. There are however no inheritances, pretend love or fraudulent 'fees' to pay.
👅🌺🌋😅

_nme_

Post by _nme_ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:29 pm

B8er wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:04 pmIf he's not promising you anything and is just asking for money then he is a beggar, which we don't bait.

Understood. Thanks for the heads-up!

Bertje
Mod Costumer
Original Eater Join Date: 25 Dec 2009

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Post by Bertje » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:42 pm

Welcome to Eater!

While we, indeed, don't bait beggars, we DO bait Advance Fee scammers. If you want to have a go at it, head over to scamwarners.com and pick out a new friend.

Set up a dedicated email address for baiting, and you are good to go!
Plog costumer reviews:
"you couldn't even give a half star service and you are talking of 5 star. 5 star my foot" - mr. Sunday after 2 safari's

Send your calvary greetings | What is a mentor? | Forum Rules | The Mod Team |
Report a WU Mule

_nme_

Post by _nme_ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:54 pm

Kitty La Gore wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:41 pm Welcome to Eater, _nme_!

[...]

This is one of those types of scams we do not bait as it can bite the baiter fairly quickly.

Thanks a lot, Kitty! Duly noted. I can get rid of this lad pretty easily by blocking him and/or having him booted off the platform for TOS violations. Not a whole lot he can do in the way of tracing my RL info unless he's an extremely savvy hacker (and even then, he'd be very likely to run into a lot of dead end streets) or working for the CIA, so that's not a serious concern in my book.

Still grateful for your warning though, I'll keep that in mind for possible future encounters ...

Kitty La Gore
Old Mod

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Post by Kitty La Gore » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:16 pm

^^ good move, and I do suspect he'd rather simply find another "willing" victim rather than chasing you down, but I've seen lads spam accounts before and one of them tried to get my victim email account shut down one time. If they suspect we're playing with them, they can get nasty.

Please join us in baiting! It really is a wonderfully fun pastime, and kind of addicting to have that much fun all the while knowing you're doing the world a favor by wasting the lads' time and snatching bank accounts from their grasp ;)
I'm really scared because I notice that I'm develop malaria because of the hot climax here ~ Abiola in Rosso
i was kidnap by Nigeria North desperate danger men in Borno state Nigeria all because of u ~Tim
You are been a foolish man with a naughty brain. ~Paul K
Abiola-Tim: Lagos to Dakkar to Rosso (wDSW) 9 yrs (anniversary May 2023) | 5 yrs ~ Paul K
Am just tired and confused and the cards didn't work. ~Jeff

_nme_

Post by _nme_ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:05 pm

Bertje wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:42 pm Welcome to Eater!

Thanks, Bertje!