A Necklace Too Far

General discussion of scambaiting. Please read the forum rules HERE
SleepyShadow
Hello, I'm Looking Around

A Necklace Too Far

Post by SleepyShadow » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:30 pm

I received an email from Hon. Volkin Bozkir about a prepaid ATM card worth $8.5 million which was a payment being given out to COVID victims or some such nonsense. All she had to do was send him a laundry list of suspiciously personal information. Well, I (or rather, my main scambaiting character River) am constantly broke, so what's a poor girl to do but accept this generous offer? Of course, being a little naïve, I asked an innocent question...
Are you sure this is for me? I never caught Covid.
YES, ITS FOR YOU. KINDLY PROVIDE THE NEEDED INFORMATION PLEASE
I think you left your caps-lock on by mistake.
Unfortunately, the scammer got back on script, yammering on about how all I needed to do was pay $750 to receive my shiny new ATM card. So, I decided to throw him a curveball.
I think I'd prefer a box of cash. I don't really like dealing in digital currency. I avoid it whenever I can.
That will cost you $350 only, Are you ready to pay for it?
Already dropping the price? Wonderful. Let's see how low I can make him go. But first, I need to waste more of his time ;)
I think I can manage that. I just have a question about the packaging.
Our diplomatic agent will deliver it to your nominated address, So if you are ready to send the fee let me forward you the receivers information which you will send the money to, Once we confirm the fee here your delivery will commence immediately
He put his whole message in bold letters. Perhaps he was getting frustrated that I hadn't actually asked my question. Nor would I just yet.
I understand that, and I appreciate your willingness to work with me. I just have an important question about the packaging for the box.
OK, What is your question?
There we go. I just wanted to make him ask the question about my question. I'm helpful that way.
Would it be possible for you to use osmium void fill? I'd like my package to be as safe as possible.
YES, THAT WILL BE POSSIBLE, YOUR DELIVERY IS SAFE WITH US OKAY?
Excellent, thank you. I'm glad to know you have my safety in mind.
Also, I think you accidentally left your caps-lock on again.
Oh sorry for that, So please let me know if you are ready to send the money, i will send you the needed details for payment.
I think I'm ready.
Of course, I'm as likely to pay him as he's likely to pay me. Still, I felt it was a good idea to keep him on the hook. He then sent me the contact information for someone named Ruth J Dowdy. I have no idea if that's the scammer's real name, an associate, or just another dummy name. However, it was just the sort of diversion I was hoping for.
Who is Ruth? I've certainly never met them. Could you please ask them to contact me?
send the money to the information i sent to you and send me the payment details that's all
I just want to know who Ruth is. I don't think it's too much to ask.
She is our receiving agent dear, So send the money to the details
I was hoping for an email from Ruth (possibly wasting a bit of the scammer's time making a new email account), but that didn't seem likely to happen. I didn't want him to give up the chase just yet, so I decided to spin a bit of a yarn to find out how desperate the scammer was.
Thanks for clearing that matter up. I really appreciate all your help with this. My family has always been poor, so an opportunity like this is beyond imagination! With this money, I'll be able to help us move into a real house instead of living in an RV on the back lawn of a family friend's house. I'll be able to pay for college tuition! Nobody in my family has ever gone to a university before. My father will be thrilled, I'm sure of it. $350 is a lot of money for a girl like me, you know? The only way I can afford that kind of money is if I sell the antique necklace my great-grandmother gave me before she passed away. I'd hate to lose it, but I can't think of anything else I have that would be worth that much. What do you think I should do?
The response was almost immediate, and certainly not what I was expecting.
Dont sell it, contact us when you have money for the delivery.
Maybe I caught the scammer on a good day. Maybe he still had a shred of conscience. Maybe he just didn't want a pawn shop telling me I was getting scammed. I don't really know.
Yeah, you're right. I'd never forgive myself if I parted with the necklace. I'll work hard and save up the money as soon as I can. Thank you for everything!
You are welcome
I thought that would be the end of it, but a week later he emailed me again.
I have been waiting to hear from you for your chosen option payment, What is the update now please, You need to claim your funds before it will be confiscated,

Get back to me now please

send the money when you are ready, But do not delay much
I wasn't sure where to take it from here, so I just spun another yarn.
I have taken what you said to heart, and I feel much better for it. You have convinced me that accepting handouts just isn't the way to go. I was so blinded by desperation that I almost sold an irreplaceable gift, and you talked me out of it. I've realized the error of my ways, and I've decided that from now on I need to work hard and earn the money I receive. No more shortcuts, no cheating, and no stealing. I'll be an honest girl from here on out, and it's all thanks to you.
I haven't heard back from the lad, and I doubt I will. I suppose you never know, though. If I hear more (and I think it's interesting) I'll update this later. Anyway, that's all I've got for my latest foray into scambaiting. Cheers :D

d3rr3n
419 Eater is My Life
Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Re: A Necklace Too Far

Post by d3rr3n » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:34 pm

Nice story. Not sure why the lad did not behave like lads do :)
:pig:x92 :robot:192'
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Gift Cards for Every Lad | Canned replies
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Australian Lottery Agent: 33 :phone: x Lilly - 11 :phone: x Lenny
Omar: You could have told us that you are a scammer penetrating the internet.
Hillary: FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS FOR GOD SAKE

bware419ers
Forum Admin
Original Eater Join Date: 25 Jun 2012

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Post by bware419ers » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:43 pm

He then sent me the contact information for someone named Ruth J Dowdy. I have no idea if that's the scammer's real name, an associate, or just another dummy name.
This is likely an unwitting victim caught up in a romance or reshipping/employment scam. The information should be reported to your mentor or a Mod.
Maybe I caught the scammer on a good day. Maybe he still had a shred of conscience. Maybe he just didn't want a pawn shop telling me I was getting scammed. I don't really know.
Possible, but my experience has shown this to be unlikely. Often, scammers will simply move on to someone who isn't causing them issues or difficulties. Lads are lazy. They want the most money for the least amount of work. Their whole work dynamic depends on this.
REPORT BANK ACCOUNTS | FOLLOW 419EATER ON TWITTER

RIP "FFS." - Capone
RIP Toomuchfun
RIP Irishemigrant
"I started to read it but got bored after the first couple of sentences." - SOOI
"Remind me not to get on your bad side." - jose_cuervo

SleepyShadow
Hello, I'm Looking Around

Post by SleepyShadow » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:58 pm

bware419ers wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:43 pmThis is likely an unwitting victim caught up in a romance or reshipping/employment scam. The information should be reported to your mentor or a Mod.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you, I'll report it to a Mod.

Edited the quote to make reading easier. -bw