Catherine's first lad

General discussion of scambaiting. Please read the forum rules HERE
AtlasWasTaken
Hello, I'm Looking Around
Catherine's first lad

Post by AtlasWasTaken » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:15 pm

Hello all. This is my first actual foray into scambaiting, so please pardon my greenhorn-ness.

Catherine Lemmens will be my first and most prominent character for dealing with them lads. I still don't have quite a handle on how she behaves, but so far she's pretty much a Karen, taking offence at the mildest slight and expecting them to rectify their error. I'm thinking to add some additional messy-divorce-irritability too (ex-husband would be a scam victim, hence she's also a victim by proxy).

Anyway, the bait itself. I picked up an email from the sister site, about some lottery of 12 billion USD and the Royal Bank of Canada, forgot where the thread was. The sender was the CEO of the bank himself, David I Mckay, oooooh. There's a few snippets of stuff we can harp on just from the initial message alone:
- I supposedly have an attorney named Weiss Mohamad G (Nam), whose particulars were all present, including a Swift code and account number. Irresponsible, really.
- Mr. Mohamad is "ready to pay" the required charge of $100, drawing the whole thing into question since my (monetary) involvement does not seem to be needed anymore.
- After all that, some confusing and quite rude-sounding wording, like me "joking with the deal" when I wasn't even informed about it to begin with!

Anyway, such an offer couldn't be refused. Though Catherine has a few concerns to voice out:
Dear David,

What's this about "joking with the deal"?
Also, if all I need to do is send over the cards or whatever, why did you give me Mr. Mohamad's info? That's just irresponsible.
I literally realised just now that I could have touched on Mr. Mohamad already being ready to pay my fees, ah well.

David's response was bewildering. Mr Mohamad apparently is a criminal now. And there's a time limit too.
Attention Beneficiary,

Hello dear customer I will like to inform you that we have settled all
the requested information that will help us get him arrested.
Presently we shall call the attention of the Economic and Financial
Crime Commission ( IMF ) to arrest Mr. Weiss Mohamad G of Indonesia .

Meanwhile you have been instructed by the Federal Ministry of RBC
Royal Bank Of Canada to try and made the payment of $100 for
Ownership Certificate of your fund to enable us proceed with the
transfer without any further delay and you have be given 12 hours. to
do so or their will cancel the transfer if their did not hear from you
within 12 hours, and it means that you are going to loose the
fund so I will advice you to try all your possible best and send the $100
for the Ownership Certificate before that 12 hours. And you are only
advice to purchase Steam Wallet Gift card of $100 send it and it will
be faster the attach
copy is my ID card and Driver Licence to proof you who I am.

Meanwhile we did not want any of our time to get wasted again by you
if you cannot pay this fee just get back to us immediately so that we
shall know that you are not the right owner of this fund and we will
look forward to the owner. waiting to hear from you with the picture
of the steam wallet gift card once you buy it
We're dealing with someone with a very short fuse.
I was caught off guard and sorta dropped character:
Dear David,

12 hours is a bit of a harsh deadline, don't you think? Nowhere in your initial email did you refer to any time constraint.
Plus, if I am to receive the, quote "$12,000,000,000.00 USD from Coca Cola Company" from your side, I'm fairly certain I need to provide more than some card.
They probably wanted to induce some panic, but Catherine had somewhere to be. More than 12 hours later, she got back.
Dear David,

Sorry for taking more than 12 hours to respond, it was my friend's birthday and I may have had bit too much to drink
Is the offer still open?
Attention Beneficiary,

So how are you today together with Family, I hear you but only if you are interested and serious.
Either a bogus time limit, or David has a shitty sense of time.
I could have went off on a tangent about the Family bit, but jumped the gun and went right back to the script.
Dear David,

So the offer is still open, I understand, and yes I am interested and serious.
What do I need to do?
Attention Beneficiary,

You are the one delaying this transfer go on and the 100$ Steam wallet
gift card and your Bank Information.
Dear Harri,

There we are with that tone again. Is this the way to treat a lady?
To add, the questions I had with "joking with the deal" and Mr. Mohamad's info are still unanswered.
In any case, it's nearly midnight where I am. I'll buy and send the gift card first thing in the morning.
(I mixed up a name with another bait I was running)
Could be another opportunity for a goose chase here, dammit. I plucked a picture of a Steam wallet card off google images - but only the front.
Dear Harri,

Here's the Steam card thing.
Could you specify what Bank Information is needed too?
[front of card.jpg]
Attention Beneficiary,

You have to send scratch and send Bank side of the gift card and your Bank account number name and swift code.
About here, Catherine thought he was getting ahead of himself.
Dear David,

Sorry for calling you Harri, I had a bit on my plate at the time.
I still would like clarification on the following though:
- Why was Mr. Mohamad's information given to me? He seems to have nothing to do with our business.
- There were times where you were being less than polite. I would like an explanation, or an apology.
A day went past, and I sent a chaser. David's getting pissy again~
Attention Beneficiary,

You have to send the front and back side of the Steam wallet gift card scratch the back side of the card so the secret number will be open why can't you understand simple something.
And then he sent this message three times within an hour:
The $100 is for Ownership Certificate of your fund to enable us proceed with the
transfer of your fund without any further.

You have not done what i ask you. send the card pictures front and
back side and make sure you scrash the serect number.
By now I was getting impatient - poor virtue, I know. Plus, I was worried I'd lose him if I tried to stall any further. I would give him a Steam wallet code. A used one, that is. From 2014. Again, from google images. And Catherine would get pissy too.
Dear David,

I would have expected someone of your stature to know that you should treat your clients cordially, at the very least. Your rudeness isn't very Canadian of you.
I already threw away the card, since I recorded the code anyway. It's right here. But I'll need to teach you a lesson though, so I hid the code inside MY QUESTIONS YOU HAVEN'T ANSWERED:

- WHY WAS MR. MOHAMAD'S INFO GIVEN TO ME
- HOW WILL THE LGGIM-VJWAF-BAZND WILL THE MONEY BE SENT TO ME
- WHAT IS WITH YOUR ATTITUDE
That's where it left off, and as soon as he tries the not-so-hidden code the jig will be up :?
I just hope I get a similarly angry response about how I sit at the computer all day due to a birth defect or some such empty drivel.
It's a learning process, though. I'll certainly figure out more about diversion and actually controlling the flow myself.
I have never felt such sublime schadenfreude since I burned the last church of Terra.

Kitty La Gore
Old Mod

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Re: Catherine's first lad

Post by Kitty La Gore » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:57 pm

This is a solid first bait for your character! A few things to keep in mind:

All lads will have a "short fuse" when demanding money. It's a psychological trick to influence a victim to act before thinking too much, and to create a sense of a time limit. Putting the 12 hour delay out there was perfect! In fact, the more a lad tells me time is of the essence, the longer I wait before replying.

I have a set of used Starbucks cards I send them rather than whatever they're asking for. I've munged the QR code on the back & blurred the numbers a bit just in case, but I let them know Starbucks is close by and it was the next best thing to what they asked for, and besides why are they not using a bank transfer like a professional company? I have about 10 Starbucks cards if they insist on going that route, but after one or two, they'll usually switch to bank accounts.

If the lad notices you typed in the wrong name, by all means let him know he sent you a note yesterday calling himself [name] - that way he thinks there's another lad after you. But often they won't notice a goof like that and you can ignore it.

Good on you for needing more of the lawyer's details. Those types of demands are great!

If he complains about the steam code, you find out your son swapped cards with you and has used the new card's codes already. This is the exact sort of thing that could be avoided if the lad had only been smart enough to send a bank account to begin with!

8-)
I'm really scared because I notice that I'm develop malaria because of the hot climax here ~ Abiola in Rosso
i was kidnap by Nigeria North desperate danger men in Borno state Nigeria all because of u ~Tim
You are been a foolish man with a naughty brain. ~Paul K
Abiola-Tim: Lagos to Dakkar to Rosso (wDSW) 9 yrs (anniversary May 2023) | 5 yrs ~ Paul K
Am just tired and confused and the cards didn't work. ~Jeff

DerekTrotter1981
419 Eater is My Life

Post by DerekTrotter1981 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:04 pm

This is a solid first bait for your character!
I agree. And I'm looking forward to reading more of Catherine; although, you said she acts like a "typical Karen". What exactly is "a Karen" when it's used in this type of context?

Advaita
Not quite a Newb
Original Eater Join Date: 03 Apr 2019

Post by Advaita » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:55 pm

@Derek this is Wikipedia's description of women termed to be a "Karen" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(pejorative).

DerekTrotter1981
419 Eater is My Life

Post by DerekTrotter1981 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:26 pm

Ah...feels like an American term, really.

Advaita
Not quite a Newb

Post by Advaita » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:07 pm

It may have started there but with the internet it spreads world wide, if enough memes are created of course ;)

DerekTrotter1981
419 Eater is My Life

Post by DerekTrotter1981 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:12 pm

Of course. The internet is called the World Wide Web, after all.

Kitty La Gore
Old Mod

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Post by Kitty La Gore » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:42 pm

^^^ I think we can fairly blame the start of the WWW on the Brits.
I'm really scared because I notice that I'm develop malaria because of the hot climax here ~ Abiola in Rosso
i was kidnap by Nigeria North desperate danger men in Borno state Nigeria all because of u ~Tim
You are been a foolish man with a naughty brain. ~Paul K
Abiola-Tim: Lagos to Dakkar to Rosso (wDSW) 9 yrs (anniversary May 2023) | 5 yrs ~ Paul K
Am just tired and confused and the cards didn't work. ~Jeff

sparky905
Elite Baiter
Original Eater Join Date: 25 Jul 2017

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Post by sparky905 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:03 pm

I have a sister named Karen and have never heard the name used this way. Interesting.....she will be pleased when I share my newfound knowledge!
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ญ ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฎ ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ญ ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฌ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ณ X157

Sand Timer "George", Sand Timer "Dr. Egobia" Sand Timer Rev James Smith Sand Timer Lawson Dike

" I can sue anybody for deformation of character" scammer Fred Unuobia losing his patience with endless questions

DerekTrotter1981
419 Eater is My Life

Post by DerekTrotter1981 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:49 pm

Kitty La Gore wrote: โ†‘Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:42 pm ^^^ I think we can fairly blame the start of the WWW on the Brits.
:lol:

^ I'm sure she will...

Advaita
Not quite a Newb

Post by Advaita » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:22 am

sparky, your sister will be over the moon if she also wears a bob cut! :lol:

AtlasWasTaken
Hello, I'm Looking Around

Post by AtlasWasTaken » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words, I don't know what else to add, heh

Meanwhile, Catherine was chasing David for an update.
Dear David,

So, now that I've given you the code, when can I expect my $12,000,000,000.00 USD?
And his response, while not wordy, was no less hilarious.
Then continued hidden it.bullshit
Catherine (and I) aren't quite satisfied, though. High time I pulled the Karen catchphrase.
Dear David,

You're saying my code is bullshit?!? Shame on you! I put it in the email, as I have told you:
LGGIM-VJWAF-BAZND

And to boot, you still have not answered any of my questions! I demand to speak with your board of directors and shareholders. They need to know about this! How can a CEO be so rude to a client, let alone a lady!
I have never felt such sublime schadenfreude since I burned the last church of Terra.

DerekTrotter1981
419 Eater is My Life

Post by DerekTrotter1981 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:33 pm

:lol: