News items and topics not related to baiting.
scamnoms
Hello, I'm Looking Around

Post by scamnoms » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi guys!

I'm excited to be here, because I have found my people! A little bit about me, I've been baiting for a while on my own and didn't realize there was any sort of community around it. Reading an article, I saw this community mentioned and thought I would check it out.

I got started in baiting after my divorce. I had been married 12 years and had never really done much dating. After a few years I decided to start looking around. I work from home full time, so meeting people is not always easy so I decided to see if online was a viable way to meet people and what I discovered was that pretty much the entirety of the online dating scene is a gigantic scam cesspool. It's nearly impossible to meet anyone that is actually real. From catphishers to bots to outright scammers... it's a warzone out there.

I actually found it fairly amusing at first because many of these attempts were so incredibly pathetic and obvious. Yes, scammers have evolved but they still roll a typical playbook that is very predictable. I am a Senior Security Analyst for a top global software company in the US and I'm not only formally trained in social engineering in college and have created and led enterprise-wide training programs to educate employees (including random phishing tests, performance metrics, and risk analysis), but also have other training and experience in psychological warfare. Unfortunately for these scammers, they just don't stand much of a chance and I went from being frustrated about not being able to find a date to seeing it as a bit of a pastime, like playing a video game. It's very entertaining watching these scammers dance as I lead them around by the nose and I can hook a new one within minutes.

I actually have one right now that I've just started working in the past week who is the most impressive I've seen yet. AND I've actually been able to verify her physical appearance and instead of stolen Instagram pictures of some model, she's actually real. But she's very, very careful. She's slow and methodical. She doesn't push too hard at all. Much unlike most who try to go for your wallet by the 2nd or 3rd email. She's only making a vague reference to needing financial help in the future. I'm excited to see how far I can take this one and I am cooking up some very fun endgames for this one and I'll be sure to let you guys know how it's going.

Well, thanks for having this community and I'm very much looking forward to being a part of it. I hope to start getting to know some of you, read your stories, and explore what the site has to offer.

DerekTrotter1981
419 Eater is My Life

Re: New Member

Post by DerekTrotter1981 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:12 pm

So you're dealing with a romance scammer? Well, that's romance scammers for you; you send them a reply and then they just bugger off for a week or two.

What are your scammers like? Are they obstinate and boring little gits, or are they much more co-operative?

scamnoms

Post by scamnoms » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:44 pm

You're 100% right. They're very skittish and it's difficult to keep them hooked and if you let on at ALL that you think they're a scammer they will just drop you and move on. I had one that went on for 4 months and so far that's the longest I've been able to drag it out, but lately I've been actually trying to call them out right away and see if I can get one of them to own up to it.

The romance scammers definitely follow a very easy to spot pattern. They are very predictable and easy to spot and so far their strategies are not very complex. :lol: One tried to give me the excuse that she couldn't video chat because she was in the middle of getting a new phone and carrier (her old one was water damaged) and her laptop camera has compatibility issues... so I have to sign up at this website where I have to pay 11 dollars for tokens to be able to video chat with her. :roll: Because that was the ONLY way we'd be able to chat.

DerekTrotter1981
419 Eater is My Life

Post by DerekTrotter1981 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:12 pm

Well, it is the only way to chat with her, isn't it (?) It's not like you can use Google Hangouts or even Skype is it (?)

Before I made this account or even made any other scambaiting emails, I used to get some romance scammers and used to reply from a mailbox that was pretty much expendable in the sense that I wouldn't care what came into it. Lads could send me anything they wanted; and for me, romance scammers are just boring and tedious. You've got to give them credit though; they do send some pretty pictures...

Padme
419 Eater is My Life
Original Eater Join Date: 27 May 2005

Mod Awarded Icons

Post by Padme » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 pm

scamnoms welcome. Romance scammers vary widely in terms of how they operate and many are not only romance scammers but dabble in other types of scams as well. Personally some of my longest running and entertaining (to me anyway) baits have been with romance scammers. But they can also be very tedious in the beginning stages, and romance scammer baiting isn't for everyone. We also, of course, advise people to never bait any scammer they run across from their own real life profiles just for safety.
"Your knife will surely cut off your head trust me. Useless man zombie."
"Shege danburuba, your end has come. The spirit of all the people you kill is after you now and you can not excape it. See you in hell dan esika."

Woody 2105-? ☠️Accra -> Singapore, Dakar/Rosso/Bmko/Kpndo/Ctnu ☯x6 GoldPith , 🎩x2⌛️
Amos ☠️🛡️🎩 Akure>Kano ⌛️
Godwin 2015-? ☠️🛡️🎩x8 Owerri -> Maiduguri, Lagos/Lomé/Bmko/Kolokani/Bmko/Nioro Bmko/Timbuktu/Bmko/Youri Bmko/Mauritania/Kidira/Dakar>Jail ⌛️
🎩's -West African safaris, France-Dublin w/DSW, etc. 🍟🐐 🎓🎅🏻🎥

Kitty La Gore
Old Mod

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Post by Kitty La Gore » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:16 pm

DerekTrotter1981 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:12 pm You've got to give them credit though; they do send some pretty pictures...
Unfortunately those pretty pictures are also victims. I got my start a while back with romance scammers, and they will use photos of people who have no clue their pictures are being used in a crime, and this often affects military personnel more than others. Their stories are heartbreaking.
I'm really scared because I notice that I'm develop malaria because of the hot climax here ~ Abiola in Rosso
i was kidnap by Nigeria North desperate danger men in Borno state Nigeria all because of u ~Tim
You are been a foolish man with a naughty brain. ~Paul K
Abiola-Tim: Lagos to Dakkar to Rosso (wDSW) 9 yrs (anniversary May 2023) | 5 yrs ~ Paul K
Am just tired and confused and the cards didn't work. ~Jeff

DerekTrotter1981
419 Eater is My Life

Post by DerekTrotter1981 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:26 pm

They also use pictures of models, celebrities and...explicit stars, I believe.

scamnoms

Post by scamnoms » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:09 pm

Yes, but one of the things that I've noticed about them now is that they're getting wise to the use of Tineye and GRI. Plus with Instagram and Snapchat being so big, it's really easy to go there and just grab photos of some random person who doesn't have a lot of followers and isn't famous. Makes it nearly impossible to get hits these days. I've also noticed that they always make sure that their metadata and GPS tags are stripped. They never ever send photos with that data on them. I've just recently started checking for exif data as a part of my forensic scan of the images and since I started intentionally looking for it about 6 months ago I have yet to see a single picture with any exif or geotagging. I did try to get a scammer to take a picture with a hand-written note with a secret passphrase, and the resulting photoshopped image was HILARIOUS.

scamnoms

Post by scamnoms » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:11 pm

Kitty La Gore wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:16 pm
DerekTrotter1981 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:12 pm You've got to give them credit though; they do send some pretty pictures...
Unfortunately those pretty pictures are also victims. I got my start a while back with romance scammers, and they will use photos of people who have no clue their pictures are being used in a crime, and this often affects military personnel more than others. Their stories are heartbreaking.
Couldn't agree more, and I always make sure I respect the victim's privacy and I always secure-shred any images sent to me. The very least I can do is make sure I'm not storing copies or spreading them around too.

scamnoms

Post by scamnoms » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:15 pm

Padme wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 pm scamnoms welcome. Romance scammers vary widely in terms of how they operate and many are not only romance scammers but dabble in other types of scams as well. Personally some of my longest running and entertaining (to me anyway) baits have been with romance scammers. But they can also be very tedious in the beginning stages, and romance scammer baiting isn't for everyone. We also, of course, advise people to never bait any scammer they run across from their own real life profiles just for safety.
Yes sir, and thanks for the welcome. Thing I love about the romance scammers is that they're not high-intensity. Because they're also talking to so many other guys, there's often days they won't say anything at all, and it's really easy for me to terminate the bait if I want to and takes only seconds for me to initiate one. Not much different than booting up a video game LOL. It works for me right now because I can be really busy but then have hours of downtime randomly with the nature of my work so yeah. It's fun, even though a bit depressing to know how many horrible people are really out there.

DerekTrotter1981
419 Eater is My Life

Post by DerekTrotter1981 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:18 pm

Padme wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 pm We also, of course, advise people to never bait any scammer they run across from their own real life profiles just for safety.
Well, no; we can't have baiters reveal their actual information. Because at the end of the day, these people are vicious little buggers and they ain't gonna hesitate to exact any kind of revenge on you, as long as they can profit from it.

DerekTrotter1981
419 Eater is My Life

Post by DerekTrotter1981 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:19 pm

scamnoms wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:15 pm
Padme wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 pm scamnoms welcome. Romance scammers vary widely in terms of how they operate and many are not only romance scammers but dabble in other types of scams as well. Personally some of my longest running and entertaining (to me anyway) baits have been with romance scammers. But they can also be very tedious in the beginning stages, and romance scammer baiting isn't for everyone. We also, of course, advise people to never bait any scammer they run across from their own real life profiles just for safety.
Yes sir, and thanks for the welcome. Thing I love about the romance scammers is that they're not high-intensity. Because they're also talking to so many other guys, there's often days they won't say anything at all, and it's really easy for me to terminate the bait if I want to and takes only seconds for me to initiate one. Not much different than booting up a video game LOL. It works for me right now because I can be really busy but then have hours of downtime randomly with the nature of my work so yeah. It's fun, even though a bit depressing to know how many horrible people are really out there.
You know why guys are common romance scam targets, don't you?

scamnoms

Post by scamnoms » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:25 pm

DerekTrotter1981 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:19 pm
scamnoms wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:15 pm Yes sir, and thanks for the welcome. Thing I love about the romance scammers is that they're not high-intensity. Because they're also talking to so many other guys, there's often days they won't say anything at all, and it's really easy for me to terminate the bait if I want to and takes only seconds for me to initiate one. Not much different than booting up a video game LOL. It works for me right now because I can be really busy but then have hours of downtime randomly with the nature of my work so yeah. It's fun, even though a bit depressing to know how many horrible people are really out there.
You know why guys are common romance scam targets, don't you?
Probably because of greed and because males usually are the ones to have jobs and incomes and are more likely to spend it on a woman if they think they're going to get some action. Lately, I've seen some very interesting behavior in regards to that exact subject.

I'm seeing male profiles that are obviously scammers hitting me up and when I question about why they're male they say "this is my ex-boyfriends' account" and give some excuse. They also give an excuse as to why their location doesn't match mine, or they just say they're in my town visiting. Now this leads to the idea that these are scammers who are targeting both males and females but they're choosing a male profile. My assumption is that it's because the males they target are more likely to buy the excuse and look past it because they're being lured by whatever the narrative is (love, sex, etc...) whereas the opposite probably doesn't work well for them. A woman messaging a woman claiming to actually be a man would probably just result in them getting immediately blocked regardless of any excuse given.

DerekTrotter1981
419 Eater is My Life

Post by DerekTrotter1981 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 pm

Oh, gawd. I may not ask their gender, but I have seen bots (well, they were probably bots or maybe they were scammers) mention something like "This is not my account. It is my (ex) boyfriend's account".

Actually, perhaps one of the best thing about romance scams is that they may be tedious, but I think they're probably far more subtle while with advance fee scams, you often get "So you will be receiving X amount, but you must pay Y", sometimes with no hint of subtlety. Romance scams just seem to take forever to get to the point.
My assumption is that it's because the males they target are more likely to buy the excuse and look past it because they're being lured by whatever the narrative is (love, sex, etc...) whereas the opposite probably doesn't work well for them. A woman messaging a woman claiming to actually be a man would probably just result in them getting immediately blocked regardless of any excuse given.
Yeah, probably is the reason.

LilRachel
Apprentice Master Baiter

Mod Awarded Icons

Post by LilRachel » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:47 pm

My experience with (african) Romance Scammers is that they are "busy" with dozens of other victims until they have someone on the hook. With on the hook I don't mean 20 emails written back and forth, but like you see it for example in Linoline's awesome baits: contact in various messengers, non-scripted replies within a few minutes sometimes even seconds, regular "private details from everyday life", eternally long conversations, all that stuff.

This is the final stage and you can be pretty sure that the scammer goes all-in and focuses almost exclusively on his victim to make the big money soon. Sometimes at this point it almost feels like a long distance relationship!

The important thing is not to get lulled in at any time! Never develop something like sympathy, not to mention stronger feelings!

A scammer is and always will be a scammer!
🐖 📷 📹 📋🦁⌛

"You are singlehandedly disrupting all of lad-economics it seems." ~ Bertje
"I am real and I know who I am okay" ~ Jordan
"Now that I am with you, I guess you can call me a sucker." ~ Jordan
"I'm not a baby lawyer and even a baby lawyer can not stoop so low by sending those items to you" ~ Barrister Sunshine
"YOURE EVIL WOMAN BEGONE I WILL OPEN CASE WITH CUSTOMER CARE !" ~ Rev. John M.

DerekTrotter1981
419 Eater is My Life

Post by DerekTrotter1981 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:52 pm

Of course, a scammer is and always will be a scammer.

Well, Rachel; I don't develop stronger feelings or sympathy for scammers. Not that I can do that, because I tried to engage with romance scammers but they cleared off and I heard bugger all from them.

bware419ers
Forum Admin
Original Eater Join Date: 25 Jun 2012

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Post by bware419ers » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:16 am

scamnoms wrote:it's really easy to go there and just grab photos of some random person who doesn't have a lot of followers and isn't famous.
I have found Google and Tineye to miss many, many images. Yandex seems to do a much better job. https://yandex.com/images/

scamnoms wrote:they always make sure that their metadata and GPS tags are stripped. They never ever send photos with that data on them.
My experience has been different. I've often been able to pinpoint where the picture was taken based off the exif data. Not always, but it certainly happens.

Welcome here, to each of you. As you are fairly new, a housekeeping item, from our Guidelines (conveniently linked at the top of this page):
Rover wrote:Please do not abuse the 'quote' function when replying to posts unless it is necessary to clarify the point being made. When answering a post directly above yours, there is generally no reason to quote the previous post, unless it is to include a specific clip. Where a 'quote' is required to accentuate or clarify something regarding your response, please edit out all that is not required. This will keep the thread clean to read and save on disk space. Avoid 'double-posting' as well - that is making a post in a thread, and then making another post right beneath your prior post. Just use that fancy 'edit' button and add in your next idea. Go ahead, try it!
We work really hard to make the forum as readable and accessible as possible. Full quotes and nested quotes really aren't necessary and make reading the thread very, very difficult. Please remember the advice above when replying!

P.S. Like Padme, some of my favorite baits have been romance scammers.
REPORT BANK ACCOUNTS | FOLLOW 419EATER ON TWITTER

RIP "FFS." - Capone
RIP Toomuchfun
RIP Irishemigrant
"I started to read it but got bored after the first couple of sentences." - SOOI
"Remind me not to get on your bad side." - jose_cuervo

SpongeBob

Post by SpongeBob » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:38 pm

LilRachel wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:47 pm
The important thing is not to get lulled in at any time! Never develop something like sympathy, not to mention stronger feelings!

A scammer is and always will be a scammer!
I know this is an old post...

This a problem for me, I sometimes feel that they don't deserve all the "punishments". An example is the like of Reverend Quinn, I felt a bit of sympathy later on. However, it's good that @Birlic posted a sort of a reminder how the guy tried scamming and so "I got back on track".

Then there's an old one by "shemembers", I can't recall the exact username, where the scammer said that he found "hope" with the job being offered because art is his passion. I was wondering if there's any possibility of that guy of redeeming himself. Well, I guess I know the answer...

Thank you for this post, I'll keep this in my mind if ever I have decided to do this baiting.
😀

Bertje
Mod Costumer
Original Eater Join Date: 25 Dec 2009

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Post by Bertje » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:21 pm

Don't let it happen again ;) Since the message is an important one, I'll allow this one
Plog costumer reviews:
"you couldn't even give a half star service and you are talking of 5 star. 5 star my foot" - mr. Sunday after 2 safari's

Send your calvary greetings | What is a mentor? | Forum Rules | The Mod Team |
Report a WU Mule