Whats the scam here?

For the discussion of non-419 related miscellaneous scams.
jimreaper
Hello, I'm Looking Around

Whats the scam here?

Post by jimreaper » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:36 am

Apologies in advance for the long post.....

Right, Father in law has recently taken to chatting to young chinese women via facebook dating, which as I'm sure we all know is totally legit and absolutely not in any way a surefire way to get yourself fleeced.... anyway, we (myself and the wife) have managed to warn him of the usual investment scams / I'm coming to the country to meet you but I need you to send me £800 for the flight etc (as far as we know anyway, the only saving grace here is that he hasn't got a pot to piss in therefore probably not able to send any money....)

Recently however he has been talking to one (younger than his youngest daughter :roll: ) who is a nurse, apparently living in America, but briefly coming to work in the uk at, would you believe the chances, our local hospital. Now the bit that starts getting confusing for me, she exists, they have actually met up for a coffee, he met her at the hospital and she was in uniform (not hard to fake) Her story over coffee was that she needed to go to London for some extra training otherwise her work visa would be taken away and she would have to go back to America and she didn't want to go to London, so I start thinking marriage scam. anyway, a few days later we learn that she is going to go to London after all, but the night before she is due to go she was in a fatal car accident where the driver of the car she was in, a colleague from the hospital, was killed. (No reference whatsoever to this accident anywhere in local news reports, local papers, online etc at the time or since) Now, I've got to say this girl is an absolute trooper, despite being in a serious car accident late the previous evening, witnessing the person sitting next to you being killed and the quickest discharge from hospital in history, never mind little to no sleep she is ringing the father in law early the next morning asking if he will drive her to London (at this point it should be pointed out the he is a liability behind the wheel and gets lost on the way to the fridge) anyway, he does, she goes and that's that we think.....

losing track of timings but say a month later the most recent update is that she has had to go back to America because her mom has died (this girls luck eh?) and left her the house (she had a sister a while ago who was looking after her mom so I'm not sure where HER inheritance is, she seems to have disappeared, maybe she died too...) and father in law is talking about flying out there to see her and she has said he can stay at her house (I don't know who came up with the idea first)

so help me out, what's the play here? I'm still thinking marriage scam for a uk passport, but if already living in America, why? any other ideas or possibility's, other than this 35 year old nurse is genuinely into my 70 year old father in law? if she is scamming him she's putting in the graft I'll give her that, she almost deserves the payoff :lol:

B8er
Associate
Original Eater Join Date: 16 Feb 2009

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Re: Whats the scam here?

Post by B8er » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:26 am

I know you said that your FiL has met her and even driven her to London, but it is not unknown for scam victims to lie about meeting their scammer to stop family and friends from asking awkward questions, so unless you/your wife have physically seen her as well, I would work on the assumption that she may well not really exist.

If she does really exist then it's not the type of scam that this forum or our sister forum scamwarners.com deals with, so we can't really give you any definite ideas. But, you could well be on the right track thinking that it is a visa scam, just because she claims to live in the US doesn't mean that she really does, so she could be looking for a gullible elder who she can enter a fake marriage with to get herself a UK passport. The other alternative is that it is a romance scam and she is playing the long game, hoping that by actually meeting him (if she really did) then she can gain his trust before asking for money for some reason.

Of course, it could all be true and she really has fallen in love with him, but very unlikely.
👅🌺🌋😅

jimreaper
Hello, I'm Looking Around

Post by jimreaper » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:25 am

I did wonder if this would be the correct place or not, seemed the most relevant :lol: so I appreciate the reply

I do believe he has met her and taken her to London as we had to guide him via phone around oxford when the m40 was shut on his way back :lol:

He does love a good damsel in distress so its possible she's picked up on this and playing to it

I cant see its anything other than either visa or as you say, a very long game romance scam (man is she going to be disappointed :lol: ), hence asking for any other ideas

he's the sort of bloke that wont take any advice or warnings if it goes against what his version of reality is or isn't what he wants to hear so even if we find out what the play is here he wont listen, all we can do is sit back and watch the fireworks, but its not doing my wife any good worrying about him, but of course he doesn't see that.... :roll:

bware419ers
Forum Admin
Original Eater Join Date: 25 Jun 2012

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Post by bware419ers » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:57 pm

I've moved this here. As B8er said, it doesn't sound like something we deal with here or at SW on first sight. That said, like fighting any good scam, the first weapon is information. Google, social media, talking to your local police and explaining the situation, etc.

I don't know UK laws, but the part that gets me is the auto fatality. Surely there's a police report if this happened, right?
REPORT BANK ACCOUNTS | FOLLOW 419EATER ON TWITTER

RIP "FFS." - Capone
RIP Toomuchfun
RIP Irishemigrant
"I started to read it but got bored after the first couple of sentences." - SOOI
"Remind me not to get on your bad side." - jose_cuervo

Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru
Original Eater Join Date: 06 Jun 2008

Post by Mr Tambourine Man » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:10 pm

bware419ers wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:57 pm I don't know UK laws, but the part that gets me is the auto fatality. Surely there's a police report if this happened, right?
I'm in the UK and the police would certainly be involved. Plus an ambulance and the fire service to cut open the mangled wreckage.
is always Good when you have the zeal to be a hitwoman when you out of school,it makes you bold and reall and it makes you more high than any other of your friend.
This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.
i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me
we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Open a sliver account: $1,000 to win and gain a maximum capital of $10,000