Car buying scam

General discussion of scambaiting. Please read the forum rules HERE
Gontza
Hello, I'm Looking Around
Car buying scam

Post by Gontza » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:51 pm

Hello everyone,
I’m new on this forum and really glad I’ve found it!
I’m trying to understand a a potential scam here.
Just posted an add looking to sell my car and got a text message from an Ukrainian number on WhatsApp. Introduced as a young lady who lives in UK (were I’m from) who is really interested and wants to buy it, but at the moment she is not in London. Not interested in checking the car first or even negotiate the price . She offered to pay my £500 via a WU check and secure the car until she returns in UK . Started to sound fishy when she kept insisting sending the deposit via WU even though I told her I would like her to see the car first and the fact is nearly impossible to cash a WU transfer in London. When I asked if I can call the number “she” said is busy and can’t talk and then blocked me.
I’m trying to understand the scam she was working at. Is the the overpayment one when they are asking to redound them the difference ?
Thanks for checking !

Kitty La Gore
Old Mod

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Re: Car buying scam

Post by Kitty La Gore » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:52 pm

Hello Gontza!

This does indeed sound like a scam. There are a few ways this evolves: one way is she would "send" WU to get you to take the ad down initially, but the WU would not materialize. Then she will switch tactics and try to send you a fake cheque to cover the cost of the car plus an extra amount to cover someone picking up the car, asking you to send the extra via WU to the person picking up the car (which is the initial scammer) and keep the rest to cover the price of the car. After you sent the money via WU, you would discover the cheque is bogus, and you would be out the money you sent along. Pretty much any tactic they use will include advanced fee fraud.

Good for you for being suspicious! You've avoided a scam, and we love to hear it! If you want to help out future potential victims, we encourage you to post the details (not your personal details, of course) at our sister site, scamwarners.com - the phone number or any email/whatsapp details will help others who think to google it.

Best,
Kitty
I'm really scared because I notice that I'm develop malaria because of the hot climax here ~ Abiola in Rosso
i was kidnap by Nigeria North desperate danger men in Borno state Nigeria all because of u ~Tim
You are been a foolish man with a naughty brain. ~Paul K
Abiola-Tim: Lagos to Dakkar to Rosso (wDSW) 9 yrs (anniversary May 2023) | 5 yrs ~ Paul K
Am just tired and confused and the cards didn't work. ~Jeff