"Terrible Attempt at Fraud" Advice

For the discussion of non-419 related miscellaneous scams.
Mervyn Mann
Hello, I'm Looking Around

"Terrible Attempt at Fraud" Advice

Post by Mervyn Mann » Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:56 pm

Hi All,

Used to be a member on the old board (under Harry Palms) before it got moved to here and just gave up baiting because I really didn't have the time. Might try and pick it up again in the near future, but for a long time have read this site...because it's funny (some great safaris recently)...and providing a very good function to society.

I just need a bit of advice and as it doesn't really fit in ScamWarners I thought I'd ask here...

The Company I work for has recently become target for some dodgy activity. A domain was set up incredibly similar to ours, an email address registered very similar to one of ours and several emails sent trying to extract money using an invoice - I know it's not 419 so not looking at help with what to do. I'm in the process of trying to get the email provider and domain registrar to shut it all down, but wanted to know if there is anything I can do with the bank account that was provided...either through the Admins here...or with a bank directly.

To be honest I'm just not sure where else to ask! Google is useless!

Cheers.

Mer

bware419ers
Forum Admin
Original Eater Join Date: 25 Jun 2012

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Re: "Terrible Attempt at Fraud" Advice

Post by bware419ers » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:27 pm

Moved here.

This sounds like a Business Email Compromise (BEC) scam (see https://www.fbi.gov/how-we-can-help-you ... compromise). This is a combination of scams, hugely profitable, and typically involves the use of money mules found via romance scams.

If you have an IT provider or service you use, you should get them involved.

Sending a PM, as well.
REPORT BANK ACCOUNTS | FOLLOW 419EATER ON TWITTER

RIP "FFS." - Capone
RIP Toomuchfun
RIP Irishemigrant
"I started to read it but got bored after the first couple of sentences." - SOOI
"Remind me not to get on your bad side." - jose_cuervo

Mervyn Mann
Hello, I'm Looking Around

Re: "Terrible Attempt at Fraud" Advice

Post by Mervyn Mann » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:32 am

I read some information on BEC and that's exactly what it is...would've been a huge pay out had it not been caught!