Making my avatar

News items and topics not related to baiting.
A.N.Otherbaiter
Not quite a Newb
Original Eater Join Date: 05 Sep 2022

Making my avatar

Post by A.N.Otherbaiter » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:07 am

An occasional hobby of mine is photographing things with my Game Boy Camera. It's kinda fun (for me, I know I'm weird) to work with such limited tech.

I've used some plain text on a white background as my avatar here since I joined in September. I got the idea to try and make it more "mine". So I took a screenshot of my profile page (because I didn't know if I'd be sticking around so I didn't bother to save the original image), added a white background in Inkscape, and pulled out my camera.

The resolution of the gb camera is 128x112, it's 90s tech, so 300x300 image size limits were never going to be an issue. Also it's black and white but you can apply various colour filters, the default one is black and green, which feels right to me, don't know why. I took a handful of pictures at different angles, some straight on, some diagonal (like the one I ended up using).

Once I have the picture on my camera I have to get it on my computer so it's usable. I'll spare you the details, but it basically involves taking the camera cartridge out, carefully plugging it into a circuit board, "dumping" (copying) parts of the cartridge to my PC, then extracting the image files... it's a nightmare, but if I do everything right, it works. Most of the time.*

And... I forgot to save the photos I took.

Last night while I was kinda angry at myself, I wondered if I could be bothered to copy the cartridge over again. I decided it was too late and I'd take care of it in the morning.

Then I came across a webapp that lets you use a smartphone's camera as a GB camera. Instant previews, no messing around with dumping the cartridge, it just works. Most of the time.**

I snapped the photo you now see as my avatar and I called it a night. :)

* It's decades-old tech, it can be finnicky in surprising ways.
** For some reason if I swap from my phone's front camera to its back camera, and then back again, my entire phone crashes and reboots itself! Yay for new and exciting problems with finnicky technology!
"E is mugu woman with filthy mouth but i wan her cash ok" - Special Agent Dr Ayo Kumuyi PHD, Interpol Headquarter, Nigeria (about me, to his boss)
"You are not a serious human , i did not know UK have such people, like you." - Regional Manager, First Bank of New York
"Your message alarm wake me up, this is 2:18 AM and there is no gift card attach! Fuck you and your mother!" - Apple iTunes Courier Company
"You are useless person, fuck your ass forever." - an estim attorney (sic)
:pig2:x9

--
Random security tip: Don't routinely use your real name on the Internet.

bware419ers
Forum Admin
Original Eater Join Date: 25 Jun 2012

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Re: Making my avatar

Post by bware419ers » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:12 pm

I like it.

REPORT BANK ACCOUNTS | FOLLOW 419EATER ON TWITTER

RIP "FFS." - Capone
RIP Toomuchfun
RIP Irishemigrant
"I started to read it but got bored after the first couple of sentences." - SOOI
"Remind me not to get on your bad side." - jose_cuervo

Bertje
Mod Costumer
Original Eater Join Date: 25 Dec 2009

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Re: Making my avatar

Post by Bertje » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:57 pm

I dig it.

I recently saw a cool YT video about gane boy photography in color. Fun stuff

https://youtu.be/FPkJaEG-C_M
Plog costumer reviews:
"you couldn't even give a half star service and you are talking of 5 star. 5 star my foot" - mr. Sunday after 2 safari's

Send your calvary greetings | What is a mentor? | Forum Rules | The Mod Team |
Report a WU Mule