Is it a romance scam if using real identity?

For the discussion of non-419 related miscellaneous scams.
Millomillocaterpillo
Hello, I'm Looking Around

Is it a romance scam if using real identity?

Post by Millomillocaterpillo » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:49 pm

An elderly man has been in contact with a woman from overseas who has convinced him that they're in a relationship. It doesn't look like she's hiding her identity and she regularly contacts him via facetime online. Her Facebook account is full of photos and videos of her so no stock photos have been used.
The main issue with this is that she has him send large amounts of money to her via western union quite regularly and he's not someone who can easily afford it. He's a widower and very lonely, she calls him her husband and seems to be maintaining this online 'relationship' for financial reward.
He has very recently suffered a major health incident which has allowed family access to his device that she contacts him on so we can see the online accounts she's contacting him from.
Is there anything that can be done in a situation like this where the person extracting the money from someone isn't hiding their identity?

Millomillocaterpillo
Hello, I'm Looking Around

Re: Is it a romance scam if using real identity?

Post by Millomillocaterpillo » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:00 pm

To add context, this person initiated the contact with this elderly man. She sought him out and began this with him.

bware419ers
Forum Admin
Original Eater Join Date: 25 Jun 2012

Mod Awarded Icons

User Icons

Re: Is it a romance scam if using real identity?

Post by bware419ers » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:44 pm

419Eater is a scambaiting site. I would direct you to our sister site for additional advice: https://www.scamwarners.com/

The scammer may not be hiding their identity, but that doesn't keep it from being a scam. Without over-advising on the situation, remember, the key is to approach the situation with empathy, understanding, and a focus on the well-being of the elderly individual.

Locking the topic.
REPORT BANK ACCOUNTS | FOLLOW 419EATER ON TWITTER

RIP "FFS." - Capone
RIP Toomuchfun
RIP Irishemigrant
"I started to read it but got bored after the first couple of sentences." - SOOI
"Remind me not to get on your bad side." - jose_cuervo